On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 03:53:01PM -0400, Sanders, Arbin D wrote:
> What is the number of VMs do you all run per VMware host? Is it limited to
> the RAM limitation for vSphere 5? How many purchase vSphere licenses?

Hello there,

at our University computing centre we have 3 VMware ESXi 4.1 hosts. Each
host has 6 quad-core CPUs (alltogether 24 cores) and 256 GB RAM. Each VM
has 2 GB and 1 vCPU. We have made several stress tests (each VM with
Bonnie++) and we have successfully started 100 VMs per one host.

Best regards,
Ivan Rako
University Computing Centre
University of Zagreb, Croatia
You only live once, and if you play it right, once is all you need.