Darren J Moffat wrote:
> This check is currently implemented in login(1) rather than in a

...and in xdm, gdm, and dtlogin too...

> PAM module where it really belongs.

Yes! Please!

> Solution
> --------
> This case proposes the introduction of a pam_securetty(5) module
> and the removal of the explicity check for CONSOLE= from login(1).
> The OpenSolaris pam_securetty will perform the CONSOLE= check, so
> that that interface is preserved.

Will we be able to remove this check from the gui logins too?
What will they need to do?   (For some reason, the community xdm
& gdm sources passes the X display as the PAM_TTY value, so we'd
either need to change them or add :0 to /etc/securetty.  From
looking at the dtlogin code, it appears to pass /dev/console as
PAM_TTY.)

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com