> > Yes, there's a limitation of smf to inherit some properties, especially
> > property group. I once asked this question in the smf mailling alias.
> >
> > Ideally, uses can simply run:
> >
> >     # svccfg -s console-login add vt8
> >     # svccfg -s console-login:vt8 setprop ttymon/device="/dev/vt/8"
> >
> > But currently users have to manually add ttymon property group and
> > set properties after adding an instance.

That's what I figured.  You're going to need to document this more
clearly in the ARC case and also in your user documentation.  I didn't
see it in either place -- it needs to be in the man page for users.

> In practice, six virtual consoles are enough for use. And if users
> don't want to use all six virtual consoles in some cases, they can
> just simply disable some.

In computing, sentences of the form "X will be enough" for some integer X
usually turn out to be wrong :)  I agree that for basic desktop use or
whatever that will be fine, but you never know when someone building
something more complex out of Solaris or some advanced admin will have
needs that are somewhat out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I think the above procedure is fine for now given the rarity of
this operation.  I will note that (as for other things) we really need
to add a "clone" operation to SMF and possibly to svcadm which creates
an instance of a service and automatically inherits various properties
that will then be composed on top of those from the base service.

-Mike

--
Mike Shapiro, Solaris Kernel Development. blogs.sun.com/mws/