Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:37:09 am Ian Clatworthy wrote:
>> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> At the moment ignore files in the three major distributed version
>>> control systems (git, mercurial, bzr) are versioned inside of the tree.
>>> The names and syntaxes of these files are different, so it is not
>>> possible to import data from one system and then have ignores work
>>> magically on the other.
>>>
>>> If you convert e.g. a mercurial branch to a bazaar branch you end up
>>> with a .hgignore file that Bazaar will not use. Converting this file to
>>> a .bzrignore file on the fly seems ideal but is not possible for a
>>> couple of reasons:
>>>
>>>  * there is no one-to-one lossless back and forth mapping (and not
>>> losslessly mapping would mean breaking referential integrity)
>>>  * what if a .bzrignore file is already present?
>>>
>>> Right now the working tree determines what format ignore files are
>>> supported. It would be nice if Bazaar could support reading and updating
>>> whatever ignore file is present rather than supporting just .bzrignore.
>>> This could for example be done through a registration mechanism.
>>>
>>> Of course, it would still be nice if ignores could be tree metadata
>>> rather than part of the tree contents. This proposal does not conflict
>>> with such a change.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> Speaking to Rusty a few years back at a conference, I'm pretty sure he
>> had put some thought into getting bzr/git/hg all supporting a common
>> .vcsignore spec. I'm not sure how far he took the idea. Rusty?
>
> Yep, .vcignore.  Mercurial was reluctant to take the hit for per-directory
> ignores, and there's always the question of unignores.
>
> IMHO, per-dir is pretty much a requirement for large projects (eg. linux
> kernel), but we could make it conditional on there being a top-level
> .vcignore file.

What do you specifically mean by 'per-dir'? And is that covered with:
foo/**/*.o

in the top level ignore?

Does git have per-dir? At least from the term it makes me think you mean
having ".vcsignore" files spread throughout the tree. What does that
specifically gain versus something like ** ?

John
=:->