git-annex is a new thing I've been working on. It allows managing files
with git, without checking the file contents into git. Thus filling in
that missing chink in the git VCS-home armor, of what to do files too
big to be practical for git.

I'm doing a preview prerelease now. I have been trusting it with my data
for several days now. :)

To give an idea of one use case, I currently have git annexes on several
SATA drives that are offline archives. At my house, I have a
file server with a git annex on it. Here at the cabin I have a portable
USB drive hooked up to a NSLU2 being an ad-hoc file server; that's
another git annex. And my netbook has a git annex on its puny SSD too.
These are *all* clones of the same git repository, and file contents
can be transfered between them in any direction. And I can sit here
behind dialup and reogranize my tree, and with a single, low bandwidth
push, sync it out to all the (online) clones.

It doesn't quite stop there -- thanks to this list, I had a great suggestion
to make it use arbitrary key-value backends to store the content. As a
proof of concept, I made a simple URL backend, that just downloads file
contents from the web. It should be able to be hooked up to something like
Taho-LAFFS, or whatever.

see shy jo