lovely, finally I can get everything back

git annex get my_last_10_years_of_my_life_back.happiness
  I was unable to access these remotes: girls

;)  so, I followed the  walkthrough and isn't there "git commit" missing

git annex init

invocations which leave .git-annex/uuid.log staged but not committed

I have just closed my eyes and proceeded forward but obviously I messed
up -- whenever I switched to a newly created annex on a usb drive (also
just staged uuid.log) where I have not added anything, it fails to 'git
pull' since changes are staged for .git-annex/uuid.log which is to come
from the 'home' now