On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:54:40 +0200
martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net> wrote:

> also sprach Dieter Plaetinck <die...@plaetinck.be> [2011.04.07.1721
> +0200]:
> > well, in my experience, many of the apps who like to modify the
> > rc/config files themselves, do it quite frequently. Thinks like
> > "last window position" or "last open folder [in the app]" can get
> > updated a few to tens of times per day. I wouldn't like to
> > reintegrate all that myself manually.
> Then file bugs for those are cache data, not configuration data. ;)

I wish it was so simple.  I have actually reported this for some
projects, but sometimes I bump into a brick wall and often the software
is too complex for me to maintain a fork.

I also brought this up on the fd.o xdg lists: many apps implementing
the xdg basedir imho are abusive because they store state in config
files, some people agreed with me, others said "But I actually _do_
care about this stuff", so I showed them a compromise by suggesting
"automatically saved [by the app] config/state/whateveryouwannacallit"
could still be stored in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (like they do now) but just in
a different file (so that I can gitignore it)".  That would be a
solution that works for everyone.  But these folks basically just
ignore you if you're not a respected gnome/kde developer.