On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 20:11, Yaroslav Halchenko <li...@onerussian.com> wrote:

> But now that you
> equipped us with git-annex , it might be time to research for new ways?

Funny timing, I have been pondering exactly this question for the last few days.

> just a blunt idea -- what if 3.0 (git) format (with which I haven't
> played before either)

Afaik, 3.0 (git) does not really exist. At least not inasmuch as you
can tell it "use these commits". We are still stuck with 3.0 (quilt),
for now.

As joeyh pointed out, you need the data in the orig if it's to be
included in the package.

That being said, there are three possible approaches:

1) `git-annex get` files during package creation; build-dep git-annex
    pro: Packaging repo is slim by default
    con: package & orig are large, install(1) copies symlinks verbatim

2) `git-annex get` during postinstall; dep git-annex
    pro: package & orig are small
    con: installation takes ages, can not be interrupted, etc

3) `git-annex get` after installation; dep git-annex
    pro: package & orig are small, easy installation
    con: user needs to do manual work after installation, most likely
needs root (again)

Richard