I use dvcs-autosync+git on a daily basis, and contributed to the project.

In my previous email
(http://www.mail-archive.com/vcs-home@lists.madduck.net/msg00579.html) I found
some issues wrt race conditions and handling FS events correctly with
dvcs-autosync.  Basically realizing dvcs-autosync behavior is racey and can do
the wrong thing (like deleting your files when it shouldn't: if we start `git
rm` but the file gets added just before/when that happens, although this can be
alleviated with `git rm --cached`).  This prompted me to look into atomic
operations (see point 3 in that mail) and more specifically started this thread
on the git mailing list:
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-git-add-allow-ignore-missing-always-not-just-in-dry-run-td7201858.html
My assumption was that at least git would be able to work atomically, but I was
wrong.
=> If you modify a file while 'git add' is running on that file, 'git add' may
abort and give an error.
The most important information is in this post, I think
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-git-add-allow-ignore-missing-always-not-just-in-dry-run-tp7201858p7208529.html

So what we really need is a way to bring the git index reliably in a state that
corresponds with the state of the working copy (this doesn't need to be the
most recent state, if the working copy is in constant flux, as long as the
index becomes consistent once the WC settles down), and this without ever
executing 'git rm' (as that can remove a file if you recreate the file just
before/when you execute the git command), and without failing on files that got
removed just before/during the add/sync operation, all that keeping in mind the
file should not be changed when running 'git add' (or run 'git add' repeatedly
with my patch applied until it doesn't give an error)

how could we fix all this?
some kind of snapshot mechanism? preferably very light-weight and
per-file/per-directory? and with COW because it should be transparent (files
should never be blocked from being written to).  maybe some tricks with file
descriptors, implementing an own tool that can "sync WC changes to the index"
for this particular use case? restricting dvcs-autosync to certain FS'es (lvm
snapshots, a fuse wrapper, ...?)

I think I just found a pretty simple solution.  How about this:
* have dvcs-autosync collect inotify events like how it currently does,
allowing some time for multiple events to coalesce.
* once it decides it's time to sync changes to the index (i.e. WC has been
stable for a certain amount of time), it only needs to look at the _last_
notify event:
-> if the last notify event for the file was a create/modify, call this script:
http://pastie.org/3518002
-> if it was a delete event: run git rm --cached
* if any further events happened, just repeat the above.  there is no chance of
accidental file removal or pushing the wrong things to the index, and it
guarantees that the index will always be in sync with the WC once it settles
down.

Dieter