Christophe-Marie Duquesne wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Joey Hess <j...@kitenet.net> wrote:
> > Well, imagine there are two remotes, and they're both on the other side
> > of a cable modem. Ideally it should avoid sending the data to both, if
> > one can talk to the other. OTOH, if they're not otherwise connected,
> > it needs to double the transfer. You need to map the network (which
> > git-annex can already do) and analize the weighted graph.
>
> I might be wrong, but it sounds like a minimum spanning tree problem.

Good observation. I wish I'd formally studied graph theory. :)
However, this is actually a directed graph.. so according to Wikipedia
the Arborescence problem is involved, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chu%E2%80%93Liu/Edmonds_algorithm could be
used, although that throws away edges that cause loops, which does not
seem ideal.

But I suspect this is still oversimplified when it gets down to the real
world... :)

--
see shy jo