also sprach Thomas Koch <> [2013.09.16.2101 +0200]:
> shell alias cdgit = cd $(git root)

I've tried to make this happen many years ago, but I never finished
the ZLE widget that did it. The idea was to bind 'tab' to a function
that would replace an occurrence of ~g in $LBUFFER with the output
of rev-parse--show-toplevel and then delegate to normal tab

So now I just have

  hash -d g=$(git rev-parse --show-toplevel)

in a pre-prompt function and get the same effect.

  fishbowl:~/code/salt|develop|debian% ls ~g/debi<tab>

martin | |
"i am not in favour of long engagements. they give people the
 opportunity of finding out each other's character before marriage,
 which i think is never advisable."
                                                        -- oscar wilde