So, I am a fan of keeping as much under version control as possible (Indeed, I recently reorganized my home directory to help with this) but I've hit an interesting dilemma.

On the one hand, vcsh is a very powerful and useful utility and comes with handy commands and functionality and I currently use it for most repositories. However, it also both conceptually and practically more complex than plain git due to the use of fake-bare repositories, meaning you cannot just 'cd' and use git. For self-contained directories, this makes me wonder if the additional vcsh-provided commands are worth it.

In comparison to vcsh, I also use myrepos which is excellent at managing a set of repositories, and although I haven't used it much it can also do commands. I think (but cannot confirm) that it can be extended with additional commands just like vcsh and has the benefit of also using normal git repositories, enabling easier usage from the command-line.

While vcsh is the obvious (and only) option for some cases, such as dotfiles directly in ~, I'm wondering about the other cases. What are your opinions?