Ok, so I'm new to VDE and am using it for a virtual network homework
project for school.

I've never used VDE before, and have written a script to setup my VDE
network as appropriate for my homework project.

I'm using wirefilter to create network faults between switches.

I need some advice on tools that can detect and scan for faults that
VDE creates.

I'm hoping for open source tools where possible.

Ideally I'd be able to scan the vde net, and report problem cable segments.

How do I do this?