I have just uploaded in the experimental branch on svn a version of VDE which
implements a new queuing discipline.

The old code used one single queue and delays (sometimes fifoness was not
guaranteed).

The new code implements one queue per port (sharing the packet buffers for
broadcast packets).

vde_switch now uses connected unix sockets, and it sends packets from the queue
as soon
as the socket buffer of the receiver has available space (it uses the POLLOUT
flag).

I would be grateful if somebody can kindly test (or better put under stressful
loads)
this new implementation and return to me and to the community bug reports,
performance
figures and experience about reliability.

Thank you
                renzo