Carsten Koch wrote:
As it turned out, VDR playback currently does not run as well on
a dbox2 as it does on a PC, so I also looked for a barebone.
See the dbox2 threads on the VDR mailing list.

c't 3/2004 has a nice overview - 35 barebones. See
    http://www.heise.de/ct/04/03/078
for an excerpt.

My criteria were

*  Silent (under 1.5 Sone)
*  good Linux support (++ rating in the c't Test)
*  no useless gimmics (Radio, analog TV, etc.)
*  not too expensive
*  DVI output (I have a DVI flat panel)
*  Available PCI slot for DVB card

The only system in that test matching these criteria
was the MSI Hetis 865GV-GIGA, see
   http://www.msi-computer.de/produkte/produkt.php?Prod_id=311

My favorite shop, http://www.reichelt.de did not carry it,
but I asked anyway (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) and they
could order it for me at a good price.

Well, the barebone finally arrived.

I have both positive and negative first impressions:

* My subjective feeling is that it is not as silent as I had hoped.

*  I tried installing SuSE Professional 9.0 on it, but the SuSE
   installer hangs when booting its kernel.
   The last 4 messages are:
    hda: SAMSUNG SP1604N, ATA DISK drive
    hdb: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    ide0 at 0xe800-0xe807, 0xe402 on IRQ 10
    hda: attached ide-disk driver
   At this point, the system hangs.

Any ideas anyone?

   Knoppix 3.4 (c't edition) boots fine both with kernel 2.4 and
   with kernel 2.6.

   I would prefer to install SuSE 9.0, as my internet connection
   is far too slow for a debian-based system. ;-)

*  The rest is as described in the c't article.
   Nice small case, all the necessary connectors (S-Video, etc.)
   for a VDR system, etc.

Carsten.

-- Info: To unsubscribe send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe linux-dvb" as subject.