Glyn Edwards wrote:

My question is, has anyone made a script for transcoding video files to
the vdr format? The reason I ask is that if I can play files from the
vdr format I can fast forward etc... using the remote. I haven't managed
to get that working as well with the mplayer plugin.

project-x should be able to convert most mpeg files to vdr

http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x/

the command line interface was not that well documented when I wrote my scripts some years back. Once you get past that it works very well.

note that I demux using project X and cut the files using mpeg2schnitt under wine. Not quite what you are planning.

Simon