CR wrote:

I say if you have an AGP/PCI system, consider the nVidia MX4000.  I
haven't used it myself with VDR but it supports XvMC (MPEG2 decode) and
it's passively cooled.  How good is the hardware de-interlacer?  That is
unknown to me, maybe someone else can comment.

It's worth to check Wikipedia about various chipset generations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia#Graphics_chipsets

I have in my desktop computer a 7600GS (with a nasty small heatsink and fan), the passive cooled version (Asus, etc.) would be quite suitable for a HTPC. It has quite good 3D gaming performance as well.

I wish nvidia released Linux support for MPEG-4 HW decoding for pure video chipsets (6xxx and 7xxx).

How do you enable the de-interlacer seppo?

In xine + vdr plugin

xine --no-splash --hide-gui --fullscreen -Dtvtime:method=use_vo_driver -V xxmc -A alsa vdr:/tmp/vdr-xine/stream#demux:mpeg_pes

or xine + xinelibout

xine --no-splash --hide-gui --fullscreen -Dtvtime:method=use_vo_driver -V xxmc -A alsa "xvdr://127.0.0.1#nocache;demux:mpeg_block"

In vdr-sxfe

vdr-sxfe xvdr://192.168.1.4 --lirc --audio alsa --video xxmc --fullscreen --post tvtime:method=use_vo_driver

But I have some problems with sxfe, the nvidia OSD color hack (video.device.xvmc_nvidia_color_fix:1) is not available. Also the playback is not smooth when OSD graphics is active. Perhaps the sudo+renice -18 trick from this mailing list today could help.

What version of xine-lib and X.Org do you use?

At the moment fresh CVS, X.org 7.0 and latest (8774) nvidia binary drivers.

BR,
Seppo