Simon Baxter wrote:
If I start the plugin with :
vdr -P"xineliboutput --local=sxfe --video=xv --audio=alsa --remote=none"

I get a letterbox window in the middle of the gnome screen.  So I tried:
-P'xineliboutput --fullscreen --local=sxfe --video=xxmc --audio=alsa --remote=none'

This gives me the same as above, but with black borders filling the screen. Still a much smaller picture than the full screen I get with vdr-xine.

There are some display options hidden in setup-> plugins-> xineliboutput-> local fronted, and some more under video. Playing with these fixed all problems I had.