On 12/19/06, Darren Salt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I demand that mike lewis may or may not have written...

> On 12/14/06, mike lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 12/14/06, Darren Salt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I demand that mike lewis may or may not have written...
>>> <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.etch.html>

>>> I don't know if they're installable on whichever Ubuntu release you're
>>> using (guess: edgy). Chances are, however, that they are.

>>> The best way to install them is by using the 'deb' line given on the
>>> above page and installing via an apt front end (typically aptitude,
>>> apt-get or synaptic).

>>> [snip]
>> I'll let you know how it goes..

> OK.  newbie time..  When I try to apt-get update I get the following error:
> ---
> W: GPG error: http://zap.tartarus.org testing Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
> available: NO_PUBKEY B012AD8CF19F599F
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> ---

Download the key for it (the "(linux)" link at the bottom of the page, or
the link which I've just added nearer the top). Once you have it:
  # apt-key add pubkey.gpg

Err, I swear I looked.  I said to myself, now whats logical?  That the
key is hidden somewhere??  No.  It has to be on these pages..  So I
looked.  Obviously you have just updated the template for those pages
now that I highlighted the pgp stuff was missing. right?  Right?
hehe.

> And, when I issues apt-cache  showpkg vdr;

> It tells me about both versions available to me (of which, yours is not the
> preffered source!)  How can I select your source, or how can I make your
> source trusted?

  $ man apt_preferences

Edit /etc/apt/preferences. You probably want something like:

  Package: *
  Pin: release o=www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
  Pin-Priority: 550

Again, thanks for the tip.  Can't wait to have working vdr and not
have to compile it myself (I am in the process of switchingfrom
Gentoo.  Which I like, but my PC is just not fast enough for, and I
could never get X working un it.

Mick
[snip quoted .sigs]
| + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear.      FORGET COAL AND OIL.

volcano: n. A mountain with hiccups.