I use Xine but with X11 and alsa mixer/ESD. There are several settings which
have to be correct, so that dolby paththrough works.

/usr/bin/iecset audio on
/usr/bin/amixer sset 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA' 0
/usr/local/bin/xine --verbose=1 -S session=0 -B --audio-driver alsa ...

.xine/config
gui.experience_level:Master of the known universe
gui.audio_mixer_method:Software
audio.driver:alsa
audio.device.alsa_front_device:default
audio.device.alsa_mmap_enable:1
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through
audio.synchronization.slow_fast_audio:0
audio.synchronization.av_sync_method:metronom resample
audio.synchronization.resample_mode:off
audio.volume.mixer_volume:100
audio.volume.remember_volume:1

Maybe this gives you some hint of what works here.

Regards,
Martin