I demand that Klaus Schmidinger may or may not have written...

> On 06/16/07 23:26, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I demand that Klaus Schmidinger may or may not have written...
>>> On 06/16/07 18:28, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I tried both, and courier:bold looks a lot better to me (much more like
>>> a "typewriter" font).
>> That shouldn't be a problem so long as you use monospace as a fall-back...
>> actually, since that's an alias anyway, you should probably just locally
>> define it as being courier :-)

> When I select "courier:bold" it results in
> "/usr/share/fonts/URW/n022004l.pfb". If I remove the entire URW directory
> and select "courier:bold" again, I get
> "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/andalemo.ttf" - which is exactly the same as I
> get when I select "monospace:bold".

I get, respectively:
 /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/N/NimbusMonL-Bold.pfb
 /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/B/Bitstream-Vera-Sans-Mono-Bold.ttf

These are symlinks to
  /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022004l.pfb
  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/VeraMoBd.ttf
which are supplied by gsfonts and ttf-bitstream-vera.

> So I see no problem with VDR using "courier:bold" as default.

I, OTOH, see no problem with it using "monospace:bold" as default; allowing
it to be set as a compile-time option should be sufficient, though. Otherwise
it's patch time :-)

| + Buy less and make it last longer.         INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

Worse things happen in C.