Samuli Seppänen wrote:
> I did not find anything definite about this subject from LinuxTV wiki,
> mailing list archives or google, so here it comes. Please point me to a
> the last 12 months or so.
>
> Ok, so I'm using VDR as the software for my dedicated VDR box - see
> http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/gentoo_vdr/gentoo_vdr.html for more information.
> There are some recordings that I like to archive. The process which I use
> currently is like this:
>
> 1. Fix / demultiplex the recordings with ProjectX
> 2. Multiplex the recordings with mplex
> 3. Edit and transcode the videos (to xvid) with Avidemux
>
> Now this works just fine for those recordings that don't have separate
> subtitles. Here in Finland we do have separate subtitles on some channels.
> The subtitles are not s.c. teletext subtitles, but "normal" dvb subtitles.
> VDR can record these just fine and ProjectX can extract them as well. The
> files ProjectX creates for the subtitles are .sup and .sup.IFO.  I tried
> selecting the subtitle export format in ProjectX, but it did not seem to have
> any effect - I guess it's only valid for teletext subtitles. The DVB
> subtitles don't seem to be that well supported, so I can't edit the
> recordings at all unless I want to break the timings in the subtitle files.
>
> So I was thinking of a couple of approaches:
>
> - Convert the subtitles to some other (bitmap) format (dvd subtitles, for
> example) which is better supported and which the editing software (avidemux)
> can understand
> - Converting the subtitles as above plus streaming them IN the video stream
> with vlc (I guess this is possible?)
> - Burning the subtitles into the video stream prior to editing and
> transcoding with avidemux - this is what I'd prefer
>
> Could someone point me to the right direction - I don't really care how to
> get to my goal, as long as I get there.
>
> All guides I've found make use of Windows programs, which do work in Wine at
> least to a degree. I'd rather do this 100% natively in Linux, as I haven't
> got any Windows boxes around.
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> Samuli Seppänen

What you could do is take a recent enough ProjectX cvs which has support
  for exporting dvb-subtitles in Vobsub format. Then just demux the
video, audio and subtitles with projectx, encode video and audio with
your preferred method and combine video, audio and subtitles in to a
Matroska envelope.

To get the right subtitles in right format, ensure that your
ProjectX.ini file contains these definitions (PageId=1 makes sure you
select the finnish subtitles in case there are more than one subtitle
stream present):

SubtitlePanel.PageId.Value=1
SubtitlePanel.SubpictureColorModel=YLE
SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat=SUP
SubtitlePanel.exportAsVobSub=1

And, since you speak finnish, I'd point you to www.linuxtv.fi, which
contains relevant information in finnish (e.g.
http://www.linuxtv.fi/viewtopic.php?t=2283)

-Petri