Hi,

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:

>> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 08:20:38AM -0800, VDR User wrote:
>>
>> I didn't try vdr-1.5.11 because there is no H.264 patch for it.

Well, I've spent some time with subtitles. Will switch to 1.5.11 this
weekend and supply new patches.

>> I really don't understand why they are not investigated to be
>> intregrated into vdr at this time as more and more TV are going to go to
>> H.264 (not all in HDTV).
>
> The answer is very simple: I'm currently working on other things.

That's OK with me. As I wrote earlier, feel free to contact me when you
think about taking over the patches.

> And as long as there isn't at least a (graphics) card that supports
> decoding the "good old" MPEG2 in a quality that is at least as good
> as that of the FF DVB cards, as well as decoding H.264/HDTV in *hardware*,
> this whole area has next to no priority for me. I am not interested in
> software decoding this stuff - I don't want to have an extra heater
> in my living room ;-)

Actually, we are not asking for decoding H.264, as there are no patches
necessary to VDR regarding decoding. Decoding is handled either by
FFmpeg-svn, xine-lib-1.2-hg and vdr-xine-0.8.0 or by a HDe and the
reelbox plugin. Both decoding and display solutions don't need VDR to be
patched.

The most relevant patch to VDR enhances the remuxer to extract the
picture type of H.264 frames. This part is sufficient to record H.264
broadcasts on DVB-S and DVB-C.

Then there is the part which adds DVB-S2 support to VDR (provided by
Marco Schlüßler). Sure, this one is a bummer as one needs to use the new
multiproto DVB drivers.

The remaining parts (syncearly, framespersec) support H.264, but are
also useful for MPEG2. One provides faster zapping and the latter will
make VDR show correct recording lengths e. g. for NTSC recordings.

So to sum up and refer to my previous post, there is no need to watch
H.264 on a PIII 450 MHz (although this should be possible with a HDe),
but even this machine would be able to record H.264.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]