There is also a concept  where you set the RTC-Alarm time to a fixed
value and let a script calculate what time to set the RTC to to wake up
at the correct time. Then after wakeup the RTC is readjusted.

It's a bit crude and I can't recall the commen name of this concept. I
havn't got it working on my system though. It works when started on the
commandline no when vdr triggers it.

By Benjamin