On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:17:26PM +0200, Thomas Hilber wrote:
> Unfortunately with Radeons we currently have 2 problems unsolved:
>
> 1. there appears to be a tiny bug in XV overlay scaling code which
> sometimes mixes even and odd fields at certain resolutions. A workaround
> to compensate for this is to scale the opposite way. This is done by
> xineliboutput option 'Fullscreen mode: no, Window height: 575 px'
> instead of 'Window height: 575 px' (as noted in my configuration example).
>
> Overlay XV uses double buffering eliminating any tearing effects. This
> works pretty good.
>
> 2. the other way to use XV video extension is textured mode. This method
> shows very good results. No scaling problems at all. But this code is so
> new (a few weeks), there even does not yet exist proper tearing protection
> for.

the first issue has been fixed yesterday! The second one is void then.
Thanks to Roland Scheidegger I now get a perfect picture for all
source resolutions testet so far.

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2008-July/006143.html
http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=741778#post741778

There currently is only one known issue left: detection of inital field
polarity. I don't think this is a big deal. After this I can start
productive use of the patch on my living room VDR.

Maybe then I find some time to port the patch to other platforms
(like intel based graphics cards).

Cheers
   Thomas