VDR developer version 1.7.4 is now available at
A 'diff' against the previous version is available at
This is a *developer* version. Not even *I* use it in my productive
environment. I strongly recommend that you only use it under controlled
conditions and for testing and debugging.
The main focus of this version is still the switch to Transport Stream (TS)
as the recording format. There are still a few glitches, mainly
- Recording files larger than 4GB or with more than 255 separate
files hasn't been tested yet.
- Recording h.264 broadcasts has been roughly verified to work, but
no replaying of such recordings has been tested yet.
DO NOT USE THIS VERSION FOR PRODUCTIVE RECORDINGS!!
THE RECORDING OR OTHER FILE FORMATS MAY STILL CHANGE
AND ANY RECORDINGS MADE WITH THIS VERSION MIGHT NOT
WORK WITH FUTURE VERSIONS!
Despite this, I do hope there will be some people who
can take a look at the changes and maybe test the new
recording format - and report bugs or provide fixes ,-)
You need to patch your driver with
in order to replay TS recordings with full featured DVB cards!
Without this patch replaying and Transfer Mode with these cards
will not be possible!
The changes since version 1.7.3:
- Removed the '#define FE_CAN_2ND_GEN_MODULATION', since it was wrong and the
flag is now in the driver, anyway.
- The full-featured DVB cards are now given the TS data directly for replay
(thanks to Oliver Endriss for enhancing the av7110 driver to make it replay
TS data). The patch from
implements this change in the driver.
The patch av7110_v4ldvb_api5_audiobuf_test_1.diff mentioned in version 1.7.2
is still necessary to avoid audio and video glitches on some channels.
- Added a typecast in cUnbufferedFile::Write() to avoid an error message when
compiling on 64 bit systems.
- Added some missing 'const' statements to cBitmap (thanks to Andreas Regel).
- Fixed returning complete PES packets in cTsToPes::GetPes() (thanks to Reinhard
- Added a missing Detach() in cTransfer::Activate() (thanks to Marco Schlüßler).
- Added clearing the TS buffers in cDevice::Detach() (thanks to Marco
- Fixed incrementing the continuity counter in cPatPmtGenerator::GetPmt()
to Johann Friedrichs).
- Fixed removing deleted recordings in case there is a problem. Once a recording
caused a problem with removing, no others were removed any more and an ongoing
recording could fill up the disk and cause other recordings to be deleted
automatically (reported by Reinhard Nissl).
- Added "DEFINES += -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
to Make.config.template (thanks to Johann Friedrichs for pointing this out).
Plugin authors should add this line to their Makefile or Make.config if they
file access functions that need special versions for 64 bit offsets.
- The new command line option -i can be used to set an "instance id", which will
be used to distinguish recordings of the same broadcast made by different
of VDR (suggested by Frank Schmirler). This replaces the use of the "resume
that was introduced in version 1.7.3.
- Added checking mutexCurrentAudioTrack to cDevice::PlayTs() (thanks to Reinhard
Nissl for pointing this out).
- Fixed handling the pointer field in cPatPmtParser::ParsePmt() (thanks to Frank
Schmirler - sorry I swapped two lines when adopting the original patch).
- Checking the remaining packet length after processing the pointer field in
cPatPmtParser::ParsePat() and cPatPmtParser::ParsePmt() (suggested by Frank
- Checking the pointer field in cPatPmtParser::ParsePmt() only in 'payload
packets (suggested by Frank Schmirler).
- Changed cPatPmtGenerator to make sure the PMT pid doesn't collide with any of
the actual pids of the channel.
- Fixed cDevice::PlayTsAudio() and made cDevice::PlayTsVideo() return 0 if
PlayVideo() didn't play anything.
- Added an 'int' typecast to calculations involving FramesPerSecond() to avoid
compiler warnings (reported by Winfried Koehler).
- Fixed detecting frames for pure audio recordings.
- Fixed editing PES recordings. The frame type in the index.vdr file generated
the edited PES recording is set to 1 for I-frames and 2 for all others (P- and
B-frames). The exact frame type doesn't matter for VDR, it only needs to know
it's an I-frame or not.
- The PAT/PMT is now only processed if its version changes (reported by Reinhard
- Fixed handling the maximum video file size (reported by Udo Richter).
- Improved fast-forward/-rewind for audio recordings. The actual data is now
to the output device, so that it can be replayed and thus cause the proper
For pure audio recordings the audio is no longer muted in fast-forward/-rewind
mode, so that some orientation regarding the position within the recording is
possible. There may still be some offset in the replay position displayed by
progress indicator when switching from fast-forward/-rewind to play mode, as
as in the current position during normal play mode. This is due to the various
buffers between the player and the output device and will be addressed later.
Note the new function cDevice::IsPlayingVideo(), which is used to inform the
player whether there is video data in the currently replayed stream. If a
cDevice class reimplements PlayTs() or PlayPes(), it also needs to make sure
new function works as expected.
vdr mailing list