On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Magnus H <mag...@alefors.se> wrote:
> Well, since VDR unfortunately is designed as a stand-alone system, this has
> to be the most frequently asked question on this list. There is no really
> good way to do it, but the xineliboutput README contains useful info on one
> way of doing it. I have a headless server running one "Master" vdr that uses
> all eight DVB cards and two "Slave" vdr instances that uses streamdev and
> iptv to get the streams from the master. It's not ideal but works quite
> well. I hardly ever watch live tv so I mostly use the slave vdr's to watch
> recordings made by the master.

What Magnus says is true.  VDR was not designed to operate as a
server/client setup and at best you can slap together something that
technically works but leaves a lot to be desired.  I tried it once
before and it was horrid.  Although it's been a few years and I've
heard it's "better" now.  I opt'ed to stick it out with VDR in hopes
that one day we'd see support for it.  I know a bunch of people who
defected to mythtv for this very reason but I couldn't bring myself to
be one of them .  ;)

Bottom line, consider running multiple standalones because that
unfortunately remains the best solution.