On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Klaus Schmidinger
<klaus.schmidin...@tvdr.de> wrote:
> On 29.09.2010 23:08, Dominic Evans wrote:
>> I was wondering about the recording numbers associated with recordings
>> in the LSTR output. There doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern, is
>> the numbering just random?
>
> Well, it starts at 1 and ends at the number of available recordings ;-)
>
>> It'd be preferable if recordings kept a unique number, that didn't
>> change when every time a recording gets deleted, or a new recording is
>> started.
>
> While this sounds feasible, it would also mean that the numbers
> would get larger and larger over time if VDR runs like 24/7.
> If this doesn't pose a problem to anybody, I could change this
> so that every recording an instance of VDR "sees" would get a
> unique number, by incrementing a static counter. These numbers would,
> of course, only be valid within one instance of VDR, and only as long
> as it actually runs. Once it restarts, the numbers would be reassigned
> starting at 1. The only question remaining would probably be what to
> do when the counter wraps over the integer boundary ;-)

What advantage is there to keeping a static total recordings count (I
guess you could call it)?  Seems the most sane that each recording
should start at 1 and count up as it already does.  Also, instead of
changing the current numbering system, could using a hash provide you
with the same result you're looking for?  I would think hashing the
first X MB of a recording would suffice to create a unique identifier.

Best regards,
Derek