--- On Wed, 19/1/11, Niko Mikkilä <n...@phnet.fi> wrote:

> From: Niko Mikkilä <n...@phnet.fi>
> Subject: Re: [vdr] Deinterlace video (was: Replacing aging VDR for DVB-S2)
> Date: Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, 11:43
> Replying to myself...
>
> ke, 2011-01-19 kello 12:48 +0200, Niko Mikkilä kirjoitti:
> > ke, 2011-01-19 kello 10:18 +0000, Stuart Morris
> kirjoitti:
> > > My experience with an nVidia GT220 has been less
> than perfect. It can
> > > perform temporal+spatial+inverse_telecine on HD
> video fast enough, but
> > > my PC gets hot and it truly sucks at 2:2 pulldown
> detection. The
> > > result of this is when viewing progressive video
> encoded as interlaced
> > > field pairs (2:2 pulldown), deinterlacing keeps
> cutting in and out
> > > every second or so, ruining the picture quality.
> >
> > I think VDPAU's inverse telecine is only meant for
> non-even cadences
> > like 3:2. Motion-adaptive deinterlacing handles 2:2
> pullup perfectly
> > well, so try without IVTC.
>
> Not perfectly well apparenty; there will be slight
> artifacting at sharp
> horizontal edges, so the trigger to deinterlace is pretty
> low. Probably
> to avoid any visible combing in interlaced video.
>
> Pullup seems to work fine for me though, but I only have
> VP2/"VDPAU
> feature set A" hardware.

My problems with VDPAU inverse-telecine were apparent only on HD video.
It did seem to be ok with SD video.
With HD video, if I disabled inverse-telecine and left the advanced
deinterlacer on, it (not surprisingly) deinterlaces the progressive
picture resulting in loss of detail and twittering.
For progressive HD material I have to manually turn off deinterlacing,
then turn it on again for interlaced material. That's annoying.