On 5 May 2011 15:23, Tony Houghton <h...@realh.co.uk> wrote:
>> I had been interested in generating a channels.conf that contained the
>> channels grouped by the Sky UK genre categories, whilst also using the
>> same channel numbering.
>
> OOI, how do you get the channel numbering? I know how to get the numbers
> for Freesat (and Freeview) and have written a scanner which can generate
> numbered channels.conf files in VDR format.

:-) I've previously been using your scanner code from boxstard to get
the Freesat numberings from LCN fields.

I had hoped to hack around with your code and the eepg code to see if
I could extract them for Sky, but in the end I just parsed the json
data from http://epgservices.sky.com/tvlistings-proxy/TVListingsProxy/init.json
and used that to match channel names to numbers and genres.

> Of more interest to me than Sky numbering is to get the regional
> variations right in Freesat. There are some extra fields in its LCN
> descriptors, but I don't know how to use them. I've had to hardwire
> certain mappings by name (eg "BBC 1 South" = 101 etc), but all the
> Channel 4 variants have the same name and my script has assigned 104 to
> a Northern Irish variant judging by the adverts.

I'm not sure how important this is to people? I'm just as happy with
BBC1 London at 101 as I am with BBC1 South. If I _really_ want
regional news I can always switch to it by choice.