On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Udo Richter <udo_rich...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Is there any reason why the ring buffer can't or shouldn't be dynamic
>> aside of just not bothering to implement it?
>
> Unlimited buffers tend to get unlimited big, crashing your app with
> out-of-memory. Huge buffers also add lag to the signal. With no
> bandwidth issues, buffers are usually almost empty, with bandwidth
> issues, buffers are usually almost full.

I'm not sure such a blanket statement can be made these days.  There
are plenty of apps which grow & shrink buffers on the fly which seem
to be perfectly stable.  I suppose sloppy coding and mishandling of
memory would cause the symptoms you're describing though.

On a side-note, a lot of people experience a frozen vdr/xine with 100%
buffer.  It's never been fixed to my knowledge and it's been a while
since I've seen it brought up but iirc it has nothing to do with
bandwidth.  Rnissl, I think, knows what actually causes that
particular problem.

> In the end you set them as big as necessary, and as small as possible.
> And giving them a fixed size (possibly configurable) is less
> complicated, especially in a multi-threaded environment.

Translation:  path of least resistance.  ;)

Cheers