Depending on your personal ordering sheme a simple link could do.
I use multiple disk just by having a directory "Other disks" on my main vdr disk with links to the other disks containing archived recordings. I do make sure that the "main" disk always has enough free space (which is really no big deal with a 3TB disk).

I once did use that old functionality of vdr doing the distribuition, but really don't miss it. Much simpler now.

(and a very big thanks to Klaus. I am a very happy vdr user since the very first days - missed a one diget user number just because i ignored your mail while on leave for a holiday ;-)