Hi Cedric,

Am Mittwoch, den 11.12.2013, 18:55 +0100 schrieb
> I have build VDR systems based on arch linux and debian. On both, one
> half of the configuration files in is /etc/vdr, the other half
> in /var/lib/vdr.
> Why has the location /var/lib/vdr been choosen for the configuration
> files?

i guess you are using a Debian based distribution!?

In Debian we (the Debian VDR Team [1]) decided to use these paths about
10 years ago to comply with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) [2]
as much as possible.

One of the requirements of the FHS is that it must be possible to mount
/etc read-only, and this alone would not work with VDR because VDR
modifies some of its config-files by itself during runtime
(channels.conf is the best example i guess), for convenience we decided
to add symlinks from /etc/vdr to to the files which are placed in
/var/lib/vdr, so you basically will find all important cfgfiles in
/etc/vdr/ but some of them are just symlinks to /var/lib/vdr/.

[1] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-vdr-dvb/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Regards,
Thomas