On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 01:25:04PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
On 19.02.2015 12:55, fnu wrote:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Seiner-Zeit-voraus-Klaus-Schmidingers-Video-Disk-Recorder-VDR-2552972.html

Great!

Thank you Tobias, Mirko Doelle and Peter Siering!

Thanks from me, too!
Great article!

Thanks from me too, using VDR since 2004, and still on the same hardware. Admittedly, I am not using VDR that much any more. It was very important for more than 5 years when the kids were younger and wanted to see their favourite programs, over and over again. :)

Some reader comments in that article seemed to suggest that VDR is becoming obsolete due to streaming services and RaaS cloud services (recording-as-a-service). Those readers seem to forget two important issues: privacy, and availability of service. The one who controls the data has the power to violate the users’ privacy and to make the service unavailable. I do not want to be watched when I watch TV, and I do not want the service to suddenly disappear or become crippled.

A couple of years ago, there was a legal dispute between some cloud TV provider and the copyright mafia in Finland. The end result was that the provider was forced out of business, and its competitor (owned by a telecom almost-monopoly company) made a "deal" that it will insert more ads when the recordings are streamed. That kind of nonsense cannot happen when the end users are in control of the data.

        Marko