I will do.

Now I'm testing it on a range of recordings, I'm seeing a few issues
with ffmpeg/libraries, which I'm addressing with workarounds or reports
to the ffmpeg devs.

The aim is to convert all old VDR1.6, and current VDR2.x recordings,
including radio, as well automatic transcoding after a recording is
made, retaining 100% perceived quality / stream content which is
possible with careful codec/parameter selection.  Perhaps a plugin one
day to save as x264/aac if the stream isn't already in that format, as
the space saving can be as much as 50% (e.g. last night an SD recording
reduced from 995M to 497M).

Subtitle streams seem to be the largest issue currently - probably not
so well tested.

Richard