On 10/06/2011 12:18 PM, Keith Robertson wrote:
> [...]
>>> evolves over time). For VDSM, I would probably recommend a simple
>>> up-counter. Take a look at how JBoss is breaking up their product.
>>> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds
>>>
>>> As for gettext, message IDs don't really affect gettext. gettext is a
>>> vehicle that is used to enable i18n. Message IDs are typically coded
>>> as symbols directly in the source while gettext handles the
>>> internationalization of all things that are not substitution
>>> variables (you don't want to translate them). I've attached the
>>> makefile that I wrote for the rhevm-iso-uploader to show the flow for
>>> using gettext in a project.
>>>
>>> Here is an example of a logging statement that would work with
>>> gettext and a message ID:
>>> // Assume the log format is this...
>>> FORMAT = '%(asctime)s %(lineno)s %(levelname)s(%(messageid)s):
>>> %(message)s'
>>> // An invocation
>>> logger.warning(_("A log message with a substitution string, %s, that
>>> doesn't get translated.") % "woweee", extra={ 'messageid' : 'VDSM1000'})
>>> // The result
>>> 2011-10-06 11:13:09,458 14 WARNING(VDSM1000): A log message with a
>>> substitution string, woweee, that doesn't get translated.
>>>
>>> Things to notice:
>>> 1. The substitution variable "woweee" doesn't get translated or
>>> picked up by gettext because it isn't surrounded by _(...) which is
>>> what you want.
>>> 2. The message ID (i.e. VDSM1000) doesn't get translated either for
>>> the same reason.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Keith

>> As I never used this myself so I can't really imagine the all benefits
>> of using such a system, at least enough to warrant all the tedious
>> work. If you could just list out some of the use cases it'll be most
>> helpful.
>>
>> For instance I assume grepping for an ID is easier then grepping for a
>> message especially in multiple versions where the message might have
>> changed.
>
> Sure.  As far as the tedious part, yes, adding message IDs to an
> existing source tree is a bit of a PITA but the 525 invocations in VDSM
> isn't all that bad.  I've seen much worse.  Plus, once it's done the
> effort is much smaller (new lines of code only).
>
> As for the value (I've tried to itemize a few common reasons for doing it):
>
> Value: Message IDs allow you to use gettext globalize your messages. If
> you just used gettext and pulled the strings out of your code for
> globalization then you might end up with something like this in vdsm.log...
>      错误:问题安装驱动器
> the English translation (according to google) is:
>      ERROR: Problem mounting drive
> Unless you can read Chinese, then the message above is completely
> unhelpful to a support engineer.  The converse is true also.  Consider a
> non-english speaking person trying to decipher "ERROR: Problem mounting
> drive".  With a message ID; however, you get this...

Is it possible to just hash the main string before internationalization?

So basically:

fprintf(f, "[%s] ERROR(VDSM%04x) %s", date_str, crc32(message), message);

Or the equivalent Python.

> Value: Message IDs allow other applications to perform actions based on
> what is in your logs.  On the mainframe, this is extremely common.
> You'll have one program watching the logs for a particular ID(s).  When
> the program sees the ID it will look in a dictionary and decide what (if
> anything) needs to be done.  On linux, logwatch, is frequently used for
> this purpose and message IDs make this process much simpler because the
> program doesn't have to write complicated REGEXs to look for arbitrary
> strings it can just scan for an ID.
>
> Value: Message IDs generally have the same meaning across releases of
> the product.  This means that the developer can change the text of the
> log message without worrying about breaking someone's automation.  Example:
>      Version 1 of the product- ERROR(VDSM1000): Problem mounting drive.
>      Version 2 of the product- ERROR(VDSM1000): unable to contact
> 127.0.0.1 for mounting. Try blah blah.

Does this mean that logging messages are an ABI that needs to be maintained
over
time?  That's probably very difficult to do right.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori