De: Perry Myers [mailto:pmy...@redhat.com]
Enviado el: viernes, 04 de noviembre de 2011 22:55
Para: José Román Bilbao
CC: us...@ovirt.org; Brandon Perkins; VDSM Project Development
Asunto: Re: [Users] HA schema for ovirt?

On 11/04/2011 05:46 PM, José Román Bilbao wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I am committed to help on this, but I don't know
> where to start... Can you point me on the right direction?

Depends on what your short term priority is.  Could be any one of the
following areas:

* Helping to write an upstream whitepaper/wiki on using standard clustering
solutions to make oVirt Engine HA.  Brandon Perkins from Red Hat wrote
something up specific to RHEL, perhaps you could help him with a POC using
Pacemaker in a distro like Ubuntu or SLES.  (Brandon said he'd handle the
writeup of Fedora HA + oVirt Engine)

* Helping the oVirt Engine team with leveraging app server clustering to
make the engine HA aware.  I don't know the details here, so your best path
is to join the engine-devel mailing list and start submitting small patches
on the engine in order to better learn the codebase so that you can then
help with larger features like this

* Helping the vdsm team with implementing node policy for moving some HA
features to the endpoints instead of needing the engine.  Joining
vdsm-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org and starting to learn the codebase there
by submitting some small patches to start with is a good idea

Basically, start small.  Push some patches upstream to show that you have a
good understanding of the codebase, and then start writing up proposals for
the upstream list that outline how you think best to tackle some of these
more advanced features.  Certainly, implementing engine HA or vdsm policy is
not a trivial exercise, so it will involve input and development from many
people.

Hope that helps

Perry

> Thanks,
>
> Jode
>
> El 04/11/2011 17:11, "Perry Myers" <pmy...@redhat.com
> <mailto:pmy...@redhat.com>> escribió:
>
>     > As one of my priorities on a virtualization platform is to offer HA,
>     > wanted to know how does it work on the ovirt architecture. I mean,
>     I my
>     > management node fails, is HA still running on the ovirt-nodes (is
>     > distributed ) or is it manager dependent?
>
>     Right now if the oVirt Engine server fails, HA of the guests running
on
>     oVirt Nodes will not work.  This is because the oVirt Engine is what
>     coordinates monitoring and restart of the guests marked as HA.
>
>     Today, the best way to protect against that double-failure is to
provide
>     HA for the oVirt Engine itself.  This can be done by setting up a 2
node
>     HA cluster via a HA stack like Pacemaker or RHEL Clustering.
Pacemaker