On 11/17/2011 02:59 AM, Ayal Baron wrote:

> [...]

No, the way we plan on doing this is having a guest agent schema
(qapi-schema-guest.json) that we can use to (1) white list valid operations and
(2) decode and re-encode operations.

(1) let's us validate that guest state isn't escaping which keeps migration safe

(2) let's us scrub any potentially malicious input from the guest before we
hand
it off to the management tool.

Otherwise, we don't get in the middle and don't really care what the verbs are.

>> QEMU's job is to sanitize information from the guest and try to turn
>> that into
>> something that is safer for the broader world to consume.  QEMU also
>> deals with
>> isolating state in order to support things like live migration.  This
>
> So are you suggesting that when a user reads a file you would automatically
> encode the contents?

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

Here's another way to think of this.  In a typical enterprise environment, you
would secure your network infrastructure using isolated zones.  You may have a
red zone (guest networking), a yellow zone (management network), and a green
zone (broader intranet).  The zones are physically separate with very few
things
that exist on two zones.

You pay special attention to anything that crosses zones and try to minimize
them as much as possible.  You never allow something to live on more than two
zones.

The guest is the red zone and the rest of the host environment is the yellow
zone.  QEMU bridges between the red and yellow zone.  That is fundamentally its
job in the stack.

Other than the guest agent, VDSM lives purely in the yellow zone.  In fact,
VDSM
bridges from the yellow zone to the green zone (broader management
infrastructure).

It may be easier to skip QEMU and have VDSM also stride into the red zone.
It's
always easier to cross zones.  But it's not good security practice.  There is
tremendous value in having clean security layers.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori