On Monday 21 November 2011 19:12:36 Federico Simoncelli wrote:
> [...]
Federico,
Since I personally know the one who wrote most of the vdsm-ovirt/rhel
integration bugs (not the code, just the bugs...) I'm fully aware of
network complexity, and the impact of supporting several distro's.

This is exactly why I asked for a /generic/ approach, which will
not pull in numerous packages which are distro or desktop-env specific.

Having said that, I can tell you that last night I did some more
investigations in Gentoo, and I was pleasantly surprised to see
the following:

emerge -DuNavt --with-bdeps=y --keep-going net-misc/networkmanager

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] net-misc/networkmanager-0.8.4.0-r2  USE="bluetooth ppp -avahi
-connection-sharing -dhclient -dhcpcd -doc -gnutls -nss -resolvconf" 1,634 kB
[ebuild  N     ]  net-misc/modemmanager-0.4  USE="policykit -doc -test" 435 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 2,069 kB

This means that network manager no longer pulls gnome-related
packages, which is very good news. If this is the case in other
distro's I think we can converge on this solution.

I guess we only need some input from Suse / Ubuntu people to
see if it works for them as well.
--

/d

"This message will self destruct in the future. Or not."