On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 03:21:07PM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 11:29 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>cc-ing engine-devel...

> >>i have two points for consideration around this:
> >>1. as the api between ovirt-engine and vdsm, I had a preference for the
> >>bus like nature of QMF, as it would allow multiple ovirt-engine to load
> >>balance handling of messages from the queue, and multiple consumers for
> >>some messages (say, history service picking up the stats in parallel to
> >>engine picking them, rather than copying them from engine).
> >
> >I tend to agree, using a bus like QMF between ovirt-engine and vdsm is
> >an inherantly more scalable network architecture, since it avoids the
> >need to have a direct point-to-point connection between the engine and
> >every single node, instead you can build a resilient grid by stategically
> >deploying QPid brokers.
> >
> >As compared to REST, it is also much better at coping with async events,
> >since you can have a push, rather than pull, model which VDSM just puts
> >events onto the bus as they're generated, to be lazily consumed by any
> >remote nodes when desired.
> >
> >NB, I don't mean to imply that there should not *also* be a REST API for
> >the node level. A REST API has the very compelling property that it is
> >trivially accessible from anything with HTTP client support, which is
> >basically everything in existance today.
> >
> >>2. as node level api, i think a lightweight ovirt-engine managing a
> >>single node and exposing the exact same REST API and behavior of the
> >>multi-node ovirt engine would be easier to cosnume for someone that
> >>wants to interact with a single node same way they would interact with
> >>ovirt-engine.
> >
> >If the REST API is well specified, you wouldn't need to necessarily have
> >a lightweight ovirt-engine deployed at the node level, you could just
> >have VDSM implement the same REST specification natively, as is impl
> >in the engine. Or perhaps provide a some shered code that can be plugged
> >into both VDSM&  the enegine to facilitate provision of the same REST
> >interface.
>
> Indeed, but an API is not just the transport, it is also behavior
> and error code numbering, etc.
> trying to develop two different projects trying to do the same thing
> sounds like quite the overhead to me.

Agreed.

> I prefer investing the time in making a lighter version of the
> engine for a single node.
> then you would also get the web admin and power user portal if you
> want them.

Could you flesh out some details on the effort required to implement a
light-weight engine?  I am concerned that this is more complex than it seems.
Also, how would we avoid dual maintenance between the full engine and the light
one when a new feature/api is added?

--
Adam Litke <a...@us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center