On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:42:24PM +0200, Dor Laor wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 03:55 PM, Adam Litke wrote:

> >>All these APIs are nice and required regardless if vdsm hosts MOM or
> >>MOM is independent. Still, there is a *huge* difference in terms of
> >>development speed and overhead by committing to external APIs.
> >>
> >>Correct me if I'm wrong but the only value of keeping MOM separate
> >>is that it will be used as a general purpose policy tool for the OS.
> >
> >This is one advantage, but cetainly not the only one.  More importantly, as
> >pointed out by Dan K. and Dan B., keeping it separate will encourage
> >modularization which is greatly needed in vdsm.  As part of this
> >modularization,
> >it will be easier to see, specifically, what MOM is allowed to do; making
> >writing a SELinux policy for the policy engine much easier.
>
> It's not a reason to commit to two separate remote APIs that will be
> supported for a very long period.
> Modularization and internal apis should be achieved regardless.
> Moreover, since there is no modularization today, committing too
> early for new apis might cause us pains in the future.
>
> So my offer is to do the modularization and define apis between mom
> and vdsm but keep all internal. After a year we'll be able to judge
> whether we got the right set and might be worth to spin off MOM.

We let's give this plan a try.  Based on other planning and dicussions, vdsm is
going to gain quite a few new threads: QMF agent threads, REST API server
threads, MOM threads.  A good place to start poking might be to ensure that we
can handle the additional complexity that comes with these extra threads.