snapshot might have multiple images base on the in the case of template and
preview mode.
We also plan to remove preview mode and make it that every snapshot can have
multiple images base on it.
This design can only be possible when using different qcow2 files.

I might not be understanding Dan as there are no plans to have libvirt do
snapshotting (apart from live snapshots and even in that case vdsm's storage
backend will be the one creating the actual storage target for the image).