On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:11:27PM +0530, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> Hi,
>     I haven't found this info elsewhere, hence asking here.
>
> 1) What is the procedure to restart vdsm on the host ? Do i need to
> put host in maint. mode
> and then manually kill  vdsm and supervdsm parent process or use
> pkill to kill
> all the numerous vdsm processes ?

ovirt Engine should survive a `service vdsmd restart` without special
preparation. However, moving the host to Maintenance would avoid some
pitfalls.

> 2) I don't have a git repo on the vdsm host, so if i have made
> changes to vdsm (in my devpt env),
> can i just create a tarball and copy it to the host
> (/usr/share/vdsm/vdsm) and restart vdsm for
> my changes to take effect ?

In some cases this would not be enough (there are .in files, and files
copied not under /usr/share/vdsm).
Either copy your specific files and restart vdsm, or reinstall an RPM
with everything.