On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 01:59:25PM +0800, Mark Wu wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 09:08 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

> >>In the old MOM integration patch,  I passed the clientIF instance to
> >>MOM by the following method:
> >>vdsmInterface.setConnection(self._cif)
> >>
> >>Here's your comments on the patch:
> >>
> >>"_cif is not the proper API to interact with Vdsm. API.py is. Please
> >>change MOM to conform to this, if possible.
> >>
> >>I think that mom should receive an API object (even API.Global()!)
> >>that it needs for its operation. Even passing BindingXMLRPC() object
> >>is more APIish than the internal clientIF object."
> >Please do not blame me! ;-)
> No body dares to blame the VDSM maintainer! :P
> >I do not mind passing an API.Global() that happens to hold an internal
> >private reference to _clientIF. I just want that if we find the way to
> >obliterate clientIF, we won't need to send a patch to MOM, too.
>
> It seems I misunderstood your previous comments.  I am sorry for that.

I'm even sorrier for not being clear enough!

> >>So I try to remove cif from API definition to make MOM can call the
> >>VDSM API without having clientIF.

> >I do not understand - MOM could receive an API object, it does not have
> >to construct it by itself.

> yes, we can pass an API.Global() instance to MOM, but MOM also needs
> to create API.VM instance. Without clientIF, I could pass a wrapped
> VM class
> to MOM. But it's ugly.

I admit it is not pretty. How about adding factory functions such as
Global.constructVm() ? I think it would appease the no-singleton gods.

> So I try to remove clientIF in API exposed
> interface, and make the caller can use vdsm API just after importing
> the module. It could be cleaner. What's your opinion?
>
> Thanks a lot!!

Thank you. Either way I kinda fear the first out-of-prject dependecy on
API.py. The latter API is not yet stable nor complete. Brace yourself to
guard against surprises, and to move along as the API changes. I cannot
stress enough the need for a unit test for every functionality required
by mom.