On 07/06/2012 01:15 AM, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
On 07/05/2012 04:45 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:47:42PM -0400, Saggi Mizrahi wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Litke" <a...@us.ibm.com>
To: "Saggi Mizrahi" <smizr...@redhat.com>
Cc: "Anthony Liguori" <anth...@codemonkey.ws>, "VDSM Project
Development" <vdsm-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:34:50 PM
Subject: Re: [RFC] An alternative way to provide a supported
interface -- libvdsm

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 02:50:02PM -0400, Saggi Mizrahi wrote:
The idea of having a supported C API was something I was thinking
about doing
(But I'd rather use gobject introspection and not schema
generation) But the
problem is not having a C API is using the current XML RPC API as
it's base
I want to disect this a bit to find out exactly where there might be
agreement
and disagreement.

C API is a good thing to implement - Agreed.

I also want to use gobject introspection but I don't agree that using
glib
precludes the use of a formalized schema.  My proposal is that we
write a schema
definition and generate the glib C code from that schema.

I agree that the _current_ xmlrpc API makes a pretty bad base from
which to
start a supportable API.  XMLRPC is a perfectly reasonable
remote/wire protocol
and I think we should continue using it as a base for the next
generation API.
Using a schema will ensure that the new API is well-structured.
There major problems with XML-RPC (and to some extent with REST as
well) are high call overhead and no two way communication (push
events). Basing on XML-RPC means that we will never be able to solve
these issues.
I am not sure I am ready to conceed that XML-RPC is too slow for our
needs.  Can
you provide some more detail around this point and possibly suggest an
alternative that has even lower overhead without sacrificing the
ubiquity and
usability of XML-RPC?  As far as the two-way communication point, what
are the
options besides AMQP/ZeroMQ?  Aren't these even worse from an overhead
perspective than XML-RPC?  Regarding two-way communication: you can
write AMQP
brokers based on the C API and run one on each vdsm host.  Assuming
the C API
supports events, what else would you need?
I personally think that using something like AMQP for inter-node
communication and engine - node would be optimal.  With a rest interface
that just send messages though something like AMQP.

I would also not dismiss AMQP so soon
we want a bug with more than a single listener at engine side (engine, history db, maybe event correlation service).
collectd as a means for statistics already supports it as well.
I'm for having REST as well, but not sure as main one for a consumer like ovirt engine.

Thanks
Robert
The current XML-RPC API contains a lot of decencies and
inefficiencies and we
would like to retire it as soon as we possibly can. Engine would
like us to
move to a message based API and 3rd parties want something simple
like REST so
it looks like no one actually wants to use XML-RPC. Not even us.
I am proposing that AMQP brokers and REST APIs could be written
against the
public API.  In fact, they need not even live in the vdsm tree
anymore if that
is what we choose.  Core vdsm would only be responsible for providing
libvdsm
and whatever language bindings we want to support.
If we take the libvdsm route, the only reason to even have a REST
bridge is only to support OSes other then Linux which is something
I'm not sure we care about at the moment.
That might be true regarding the current in-tree implementation.
However, I can
almost guarantee that someone wanting to write a web GUI on top of
standalone
vdsm would want a REST API to talk to.  But libvdsm makes this use
case of no
concern to the core vdsm developers.

I do think that having C supportability in our API is a good idea,
but the
current API should not be used as the base.
Let's _start_ with a schema document that describes today's API and
then clean
it up.  I think that will work better than starting from scratch.
  Once my
schema is written I will post it and we can 'patch' it as a community
until we
arrive at a 1.0 version we are all happy with.
+1
Ok.  Redoubling my efforts to get this done.  Describing the output of
list(True) takes awhile :)