On 07/15/2012 01:53 AM, Ayal Baron wrote:
Sorry for cross-posting, but in this case I think it's relevant.

The original idea was that every time we wish to discuss a new cross-component
feature we should do it over arch list. However, it would appear that de-facto
usually engine-devel and vdsm-devel are being used (cross posted).
Currently engine-devel has 211 subscribers, arch has 160 and vdsm-devel has 128
so from this perspective again, arch seems less relevant.
I propose we ditch arch and keep the other 2 mailing lists.
I'm not sure whether new cross-component features should be discussed solely on
engine-devel or cross-posted (there are probably people who wouldn't care about
engine side but would still like to know about such changes).

It's a tricky problem, as Karsten said. In fact, one of the questions I had when joining the list is, where do all the developers hang out? And outside of arch@ there wasn't a good answer.

I'm not on vdsm-devel, neither vdsm-devel or engine-devel are mentioned at all on http://www.ovirt.org/project/community/ and like Karsten I think there is a role for a list which allows everyone to talk about topics unrelated to a specific component, but also not related to "users" who are not contributing to the project.

I agree, though, that the cross-posting is an issue. It seems like I need to cross-post every message to at least 2 or 3 lists to get everyone I'm interested in reaching - this suggests to me that we have too many communication channels, and need to consolidate a little. That, or we need to help people understand which forums they should be in for which types of communications, so that we don't constantly have the problem of cross-posting to be on the safe side. That's the solution I prefer.

Dave Neary
Community Action and Impact
Open Source and Standards Team, Red Hat
Phone: +33 9 50 71 55 62