On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 12:27:30PM -0500, Adam Litke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to open up a discussion about patch reviews in the vdsm project.  I
> believe everyone will agree that more code review needs to happen for the
> betterment of the project.  I want to ask everyone some questions and also
> make
> some observations.  I hope to gain some insights and improve my own workflow.
> And I hope the same for everyone else too.
>
> How much time in a week do you spend reviewing patches?

For me it is a couple of hours every day...

> We have a lot of open patches in gerrit.  When deciding to review some code,
> how
> do you select a patch to review.  I have heard people say that they only
> select
> patches which have named them specifically as a reviewer.  How does a new
> contributor know who to ask?

I think that `git blame` on the relevant code area would take him a
long way. I personally add people I trust as reviewers to patches
written by third parties.

> Does anyone have a workflow (or gerrit query) to
> select recent unreviewed patches?

Are you looking for something like
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+project:vdsm+-codereview%253E%253D1+-codereview%253C%253D-1+-age:1w,n,z
? I cannot say that I use anything like that. But I do search regularly
for changes that have all the acks, and wait for my submitting them.

> While discussing gerrit recently, I learned that some people use gerrit simply
> to host work-in-progress patches and they don't intend for those to be
> reviewed.
> How can a reviewer recognize this and skip those patches when choosing what to
> review?  Is there a way to mark certain patches as more important and others
> as
> drafts?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Regards,
Dan.