* Adam Litke <a...@us.ibm.com> [2012-09-09 12:29]:
> Hi,
>
> I want to open up a discussion about patch reviews in the vdsm project.  I
> believe everyone will agree that more code review needs to happen for the
> betterment of the project.  I want to ask everyone some questions and also
> make
> some observations.  I hope to gain some insights and improve my own workflow.
> And I hope the same for everyone else too.
>
> How much time in a week do you spend reviewing patches?
>
> We have a lot of open patches in gerrit.  When deciding to review some code,
> how
> do you select a patch to review.  I have heard people say that they only
> select
> patches which have named them specifically as a reviewer.  How does a new
> contributor know who to ask?  Does anyone have a workflow (or gerrit query) to
> select recent unreviewed patches?

In non-gerrit communities, it's also common for patches to not get
reviewed.  The general approach has been to resubmit the patches to the
mailing list for followup.

I know in the past I've emailed this list for review requests; and
that seemed to help somewhat, but I do worry that it's not obvious to
developers how exactly this should be approached.

If you've received some reviews (say even a +1)  but are lacking the
additional +1 then it seems email request is the best option since a
resubmit will remove any previous reviews (+1).

So, it's not clear to me what the best method (or even the preferred
method of the community) is when soliciting review.

I'm certainly willing to review any patches that show up on the mailing
list directly, so if folks want to submit patches first for review
before pushing into gerrit; I'm quite happy with reviewing those.

> While discussing gerrit recently, I learned that some people use gerrit simply
> to host work-in-progress patches and they don't intend for those to be
> reviewed.
> How can a reviewer recognize this and skip those patches when choosing what to
> review?  Is there a way to mark certain patches as more important and others
> as
> drafts?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
>

> --
> Adam Litke <a...@us.ibm.com>
> IBM Linux Technology Center

Ryan Harper