----- Original Message -----
> * Ayal Baron <aba...@redhat.com> [2012-10-02 18:41]:
> > 
> > 
> 
> Ayal,
> 
>    Thanks for taking time to write up your thoughts.
> 
> > > >> A polite and well-detailed -1 should be used daily and not
> > > >> considered
> > > >> "rude".
> > > >>
> > > >> Dan.
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > > Yes, this is the bookmark approach...
> > > >
> > > > The problem is that most people has the -1, 0, +1 scale, and in
> > > > that scale -1 is actually the reject method.
> > > >
> > > > "If I was the maintainer I would have rejected this patch".
> > > 
> > > we could open -2 to non-maintainers as well if it is of use.
> > > danken?
> > 
> > Personally I disagree with this approach, -2 should rarely be given
> > and doesn't disappear.  It should only be given to people who
> > really
> > understand the code properly and whose opinion is well accepted by
> > the
> > community.
> > 
> > I agree with Alon that 0 can and should be used, I do not agree
> > with
> > him though that ack/nack type of discussion should take place on it
> > though and I'll explain why -
> > 
> > First of all, in gerrit there is no immediately visible difference
> > between '0' and no review at all so someone might have serious
> > issues
> > with a patch but if she did not mark it with -1 submitter might
> > totally miss this fact.  esp. if someone sent a new revision and
> > the
> > title of the cover comment for previous version doesn't state a -1
> > (so
> > maintainer doesn't know he needs to go looking back to verify
> > things were fixed).
> 
> Absolutely.  I've been worried about this specific issue.  For me, at
> least, the gui tends to hide quite a bit of the conversation in a
> normal
> discussion of a patch.  The comments section in the gui many times
> only
> says '1 inline comment' and provides no direct link to the text of
> the
> comment.  Following the thread via email is much easier since all of
> the
> comments are there and ordered, threaded.  However, we currently
> can't
> reply/participate via email and also include the comments back into
> the
> gui for the other users.
> 
> So I've been concerned that conversations might be lost as new
> revisions
> of the patches come in.

I totally agree which is why I mark -1 if I have comments that I want submitter 
to reply to either with 'Done' or with reason why I'm wrong or 'I'll submit 
another patch to fix that' (in which case I may change a -1 to +1) etc.


> 
> > This is adding overhead on maintainer now to go back to each and
> > every
> > review and make sure that there are no comments that should have
> > been
> > addressed in 0.  Note that if someone gave a -1, normally I'd
> > expect
> > that person to make sure and +1 a subsequent patch to flag to
> > maintainer that all their problems with the patch have been
> > addressed.
> 
> In addition to maintainers, any community member attempting to help
> with the review load, this is an issue as well.
> 

Indeed.

> 
> --
> Ryan Harper
> Software Engineer; Linux Technology Center
> IBM Corp., Austin, Tx
> ry...@us.ibm.com
> 
> 
_______________________________________________
vdsm-devel mailing list
vdsm-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/vdsm-devel

Reply via email to