----- Original Message -----

Why? It really sounds like an easy path to me - provisioning of a virtual
appliance is supposed to be simple, upgrades not necessary - same as with
ovirt-node, just a bit of config files preserved and the rest simply replaced,
and HA is taken care of by the platform

On the other hand, maintaining this on multiple hypervisors means they should
all be up to date, compliant and configured. Not to mention the security
implications of maintaining an extra access point on lots of machines vs a
single virtual appliance VM. Bandwidth can be an issue, but I doubt serial
console traffic can be that heavy especially since it's there for admin access
and not routine work

Am I missing a point here?

> Maybe we can start simple and provide console access locally only.
>  What sort of
> functionality would the vdsm api need to provide to enable only local
> access to
> the console?  Presumably, it would set up a connection and provide
> the user with
> a port/pty to use to connect locally.  For now it would be "BYOSSH -
> bring your
> own SSH" as clients would need to access the hosts with something
> like:
>
> ssh -t <host> "<connect command>"
>
> The above command could be wrapped in a vdsm-tool command.
>
> In the future, we can take a look at extending this feature via some
> sort of
> remote streaming API.  Keep in mind that in order for this feature to
> be truly
> useful to ovirt-engine consumers, the console connection must survive
> a VM
> migration.  To me, this means that vdsm will need to implement a
> generic
> streaming API like libvirt has.
>
> --
> Adam Litke <a...@us.ibm.com>